Tinkers’ Alley is located in Kopitareva Street. It is the only part of the commercial district of old Niš that has been preserved. According to the urban planning document of March 1878, this place was the location of “Sagr Cincar Mahalla”. Since the Turkish word “sagr” means a craftsman, in the age of the Turks this part of Niš was a craftsman’s quarter.
The most prominent craft was tinsmithing. After the liberation from the Turks as many as 13 tinkers were mentioned as working in this “tinsmithing district”. The last smithies were closed down in the 1990s.
Today, this old but well preserved ambience is home to numerous fine restaurants and cafés.
Taken from the official website of the Tourist Organisation of Niš